What Dog Training Taught Me About Trust



My dad doesn't ask me for much; he's more of a giver.  So when he asked me to sign my son Joshua up for 4-H so he could take him to skeet shooting lessons, I put aside my fears of already being involved in too many activities myself and signed him up.  After all, dad was really the one committing the most time, right? As it turns out, 4-H offers numerous opportunities for kids to learn engaging, hands-on activities with real-world application.  I had to select classes ahead of time that Joshua might be interested in for the entire year. There was so much to choose from that I had to limit myself! One of the first ones that caught my eye was dog training.

About a year ago, Joshua's dog that he'd had for as long as he could remember was killed by another dog. We'd gotten him a new one, but, although he liked her, there just wasn't the same connection.  I knew right away this class would be good for them.  Little did I know it was also going to be good for me also!

Last night was Joshua and Cricket's fourth class, their second time to do agility training.  In agility training a course is set up involving several different obstacles. In early training stages, the dog is kept on a short leash, about two feet long.  The trainer walks or runs beside the dog, signaling and encouraging it like an elementary teacher might when helping students learn prepositions ("We can't go over it. We can't go under it.  Oh no! We've got to go through it!" as the familiar children's book says). 

Obstacles that had been set up Cricket's first time in agility training included a narrow ramp that the dog walked up, over, and down; there was also a fabric tunnel that she entered before running to Joshua, who she could see waiting at the other end;  hoops were set up for the dog to jump through, along with several smaller devices for jumping over. It was a fun experience: Joshua seeing her respond to his commands; and her getting to show off what she was already capable of.



Yesterday, though, two new obstacles were set up. The first was similar to the fabric tunnel the dogs had gone through previously, but instead of being open where they could see through the end, the fabric rested on the ground until they blindly pushed through it. The second was even worse. This contraption acted much like a teeter-totter. I sat on the sidelines and watched dog after dog balk at being asked to climb up it. Even those that had been in training far longer. Often it took 2 to 3 people in addition to the owner who held onto the leash to keep the dog on the vacillating 2 x 12. For the newer trainees, people would even hold the end of the board and ease it down slowly.  Watching this process was like an object lesson in trusting God.

We're all eager to show off the skills and abilities we feel comfortable with.  The commands that help us do so are easy to follow, enjoyable even.  When we can see our way ahead, when we can understand what we are being asked to do, when we feel as though we can safely and successfully accomplish the goal, we are willing and eager to put our all into it.  

In order for us to gain more experience, though, we will be asked to face some obstacles we aren't quite sure how to handle.  Perhaps God will have us enter a situation that at first seems like one we've previously encountered. Only after entering do we find this tunnel doesn't seem to have an opening.  In these cases, we have to learn to blindly follow his voice in order to push through to the other side.  

The hardest challenges, though, are like the teeter-totter. These look like climbing up a mountain with no where to go at the end.  These are the times our trust fails. These are the times things don't make sense. These are the times when it feels like God is against us rather than for us. When faced with this type of circumstance, even the experienced balk at the command. Most of us start looking for a way around it.  

Some of us start the climb, only to try to back out or jump ship.  That's when we get hurt, by the way.  Like one of the dogs did last night.  Not irretrievably, but enough to make us even more fearful when asked to make that climb the next time.  Likely you've experienced this in a relationship, a ministry, or an investment of some kind.  If so, it may help as you encounter the obstacle yet again to have this onlooker's perspective:  choices made from fear lead to unnecessary pain.  Set aside your fear and learn to walk ahead, trusting that your God, like the dog trainers, has the supports you need already set up in the very place you need them. When you are led by God's hands, the words of Franklin Roosevelt are very true, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

At this point, you may be wondering why it feels like you go through these experiences one after another.  Like there is just no end to the obstacles you encounter or the ways you are asked to trust.  I know I've asked that question.  Perhaps the answer to that also can be seen in this analogy. 

There was one dog yesterday that stood out above all the rest.  This dog ran the course unleashed.  The commands were given and followed unswervingly.  Even when approaching the teeter-totter obstacle, the dog bravely plunged ahead. Curiously, though, it stopped just past the half-way point.  I thought, "Oh no!  Its going to jump ship."  Instead, the dog stood still as the board lowered, paving the way for a graceful descent.  Experience had taught it the precise moment to pause and let everything fall into place. 



In that moment, I knew this particular trainee was ready for the show.  It made me think of something I heard in "Marked," (a sermon you can watch on YouTube) by Pastor Michael Todd.  He said, "God's not going to put something new in front of you while everyone is watching.  He's going to teach you first, so that when you are on display, you won't flinch."  When it feels like you are facing one obstacle after another, time and time again, take courage.  God is training you to trust him. He is not testing you to punish you or to stick an F- on your best effort.  Rather he is revealing his faithfulness, so that even in the most difficult trials, you will know that he will bring you through triumphantly.  He is getting you ready for the display of his splendor!

"He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor." 
But I said, "I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing at all.
Yet what is due me is in the Lord's hand, and my reward is with my God...
for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength."
Isaiah 49:3-5

I encourage you to read this passage and the surrounding verses.  It describes how what Israel thought was their calling was "too small a thing" and how much greater God's plan for them truly was.  That's how it is with us, too.  The greater our trust in him and his commands, the greater the honor.  Perhaps that's why in Romans chapter 5, Paul was able to honestly say "I rejoice in my sufferings."  Throughout every trial, God had shown his faithfulness. He had never left Paul's side. Paul's trust in God and his obedience to God's commands meant that he could be unleashed for the glory of God and the display of his splendor.  

By the way, so can you. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Having One of Those Days?

Unshaken through the Storm

No More Default: Living by Choice